If you have been seriously enough at the gym, you must have asked yourself at least one of these questions, if not all. They finally were given a clear documented answer.
- Should I do all the sets of one exercise and rest in between or can I do cycles so I can move right away to a different exercise ?
- How many reps is ideal ?
- How many sets ?
- Is there an ideal time of exercise and time of rest ?
- What is the ideal execution time for an exercise ?
- Should I perform the reps fastly to increase intensity and gain more ?
- How long should the whole workout be ?
- Is there an ideal weight to add to solicit an optimal muscle response ?
Here is finally a reliable and documented answer to all these questions :
Efficient Strength Training
by Matt Brzycki, coordinator of Health and Strength Conditioning at Princeton University.